A Valentine’s Gift for Teacher
A pretty smelling sachet made with an onion bag! This sachet gives young crafters a chance to practice their sewing skills. There are excellent video tutorials available to teach fancy embroidery stitches to replace the simple stitches shown in this sachet.
*Felt Sachet supplies*
7 inches of 1/4 inch ribbon
2 eight inch squares of felt
small amount of potpourri
craft or embroidery thread
large eyed needle
1 onion bag, cut open
1. Cut 2 hearts out of paper. The easiest way to do this is to fold a piece of paper and draw 1/2 a heart on it. Cut on the drawn line and you have yourself a nice even heart. For this project a 7×7 inch square of paper is good for the large heart and a 5×5 inch square for the smaller heart.
2. Use the pen to trace the large heart on each piece of felt. Cut out the heart just inside the drawn line.
On the heart that you want to use for the top of the sachet, in this case, the pink one, center and trace around the smaller heart. Now cut that heart out. The best way to begin this cut is to fold the heart and cut a small slit in the center.
3. Layer the top heart with the hole in it, over the bottom and place some potpourri in the center. Remove the top layer.
4. Carefully place the onion bag net over the potpourri. Use the thread to sew the netting to the bottom heart, encasing the potpourri. This is easily done if you leave the heart on a piece of paper or cardboard. Hold it down with one hand while you take running stitches with the other.
5. At this point, go ahead and trim the extra net close to the heart shape.
6. Put the top back on the heart and pin in place. Use a whip stitch around the inside edge of the hearts and a running stitch around the outer edge.
7. Fold the ribbon in half and sew the edges to the back of the heart.